Re: gEDA-user: Another gEDA-based project working

Jelle de Jong wrote:
> Eric Brombaugh wrote:
>> I've just finished assembling a new board that I did with gschem / PCB.
>> Web page with description, photos & design info here:
>>
>> http://members.cox.net/ebrombaugh1/synth/armfpga/index.html
>
> Great work! Keep up the good work.
>
> Would it be possible to order it as demo kit for gEDA demonstrations that
> I like to start doing.

Thanks. It's been a fun little project and I haven't even tried out the
real applications yet. A few of the things I've learned about on the way:

* Hot plate reflow (for the USB connector, micro SD socket and dual LDO
with heat-slug). I'm using one of those circular cast-iron ones similar
to what DJ has on his website. Works pretty well.

* Contaminated solder paste - the first bit that came out of the
syringe-full I bought wouldn't stick to _anything_. I had to squirt a
fair amount out before getting to the sticky stuff. My best guess is
that it must have been the silicone lube that they put in generic syringes.

* Dangers of violating minimum line width. :)

* Reliability of low-cost fabs. I found a short from USB +5 to ground on
one of my boards. A clear failure in the fab since it's not in the
gerbers or on the other board I got.

* USB interfacing - fairly simple if you use someone else's code on a
popular processor.

* SD memory interfacing - see above.

* I2C interfacing. Watch those clock speeds.

I'm sure there are a bunch of other things that will rise up to meet me
as I continue with it...

As far as kits go, sorry. I'm not set up to sell parts (there are
probably about $70 worth on this board if bought in small qty). If you'd
like to take the gerbers to your own fab though feel free to do so. It
cost me about $80 for two boards shipped from BatchPCB.

Eric