Re: gEDA-user: Simulation with Potentimeter

Thanks for your reply Stuart!

Am Sam, den 03.01.2004 schrieb Stuart Brorson um 19:02:
> > I am trying to simulate a circuit that uses a potentiometer, but can't
> > figure out how to do that. Anybody can tell what a commandfile would
> > look like to do so? I read somewhere that it should be possible to
> > sweep
> > resistor values, but didn't find any further explanation or an example.
> >
> > Tobias
>
> Hi Tobias --
>
> It's hard to answer this question without a clearer idea of where you
> are stuck.  Also, what simulator do you want to use?  To answer your
> question, I'll assume you want to use gschem to draw your circuit,
> and then use tclspice/ngspice to simulate.  Right?
Perfectly right :-)

> Plain Berkeley SPICE (which is what tclspice is) doesn't support pots.
> (i.e. there is no built-in pot component recognized by the program.)
> Therefore, if you want to simulate a circuit with a pot in it
> using plain SPICE, you should just use two series resistors &
> vary the ratio between the two resistor values.  Yes, it's a PITA, but
> life is full of sorrows. . . . .  If the TCL facilities in tclspice
> worked better, you could write a TCL prog to do this automaticaly.
> However, the TCL stuff rarely seems to work for me.  :-(
So that means I would have to change resistor values by hand?

> Commercial simulators like PSpice *do* incorporate pot symbols and
> models.  We have previously discussed incorporating this kind of
> facility into gschem & gnetlist/spice-sdb.  However, without the ability
> to simulate using an open-source simulator, it's hard to know what
> SPICE code syntax should be spit out from the netlister.  And yes, I
> suppose somebody could hack tclspice to support pots, but it seems
> like a lot of work to me. . . .
I don't know which version tclspice is based on, but ngspice 0.5 should
support resistor sweep, at least it's writen on
http://ngspice.sourceforge.net/development.html

Tobias
Sagen Sie nicht, wir haetten Sie nicht gewarnt! http://my-mail.ch/?redirect=9901
ueber 5'000 Angebote ab Fr. 1.- bei ricardo.ch! http://my-mail.ch/?redirect=1380