gEDA-user: Alternative to the ICL7107

Off topic here but I'm at a dead end on a design. I need a 3 digit LED display driver with a/d. It appears the venerable 7107 is still the only game in town. Lots of downside for me for using this part:

-Needs negative supply
-LED drive configuration is outdated. There are plenty of 3 digit 7 segment LED displays that have a common segment drive and then a multiplexer for the individual segments. Units like these:
http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Lite-on/Web%20Data/C4624JS.pdf
-I also need to go right angle with LED so I either put the LEDs on a right angle header(expensive) or go with right angle LEDs(none of which appears to have a pinout compatible with the 7107).

I am working on a design with low cost in mind and the 7107 design certainly isn't low cost. I could do something PIC based but then I have to sink programming time.

I can't believe in the year 2006 the ICL7107 is still the choice chip for this application. Anyone have alternative suggestions?

TIA