Re: gEDA-user: Fedora Core 5 installation notes

On 7/29/06, Stuart Brorson <sdb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Fair enough. It can be brittle. But I am continually trying to robustify it. It's just difficult since the distros are always moving, the gEDA developers are always sticking new dependencies into their stuff, the GNU/FSF/Gtk/other developers are constantly modifying their stuff, and there's a new distro coming out every few months.

Well, it's been a while since I tried it, so my criticism may be out of date.

> Like I said above, the proper means of distribution would be a
> repository rather than an .iso. Wojciech Kazubski almost has
> everything together.  I will email him again about this.

That's fine. But what about SuSE, Debian, and the others?

Actually, an xml-metadata repository will work with YaST, up2date, and yum. See http://linux.duke.edu/projects/metadata/. Debian folks still need their own format.

In any event, I'm not meaning to argue. Personally, I'd rather see a situation where we have an RPM-based install (CD or otherwise) of the whole Suite, a SuSE- specific install of the whole thing, a Debian install, and so on. The could all happily live on teh gEDA install web page along with my installer. Or if we got installers for all the major distros on the gEDA download webpage, my CD could just retire and go away!

It would be nice to have all that, wouldn't it. Distribution maintenance is hard work.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
You think that it is a secret, but it never has been one.
 - fortune cookie