Re: gEDA-user: Fedora Core 5 installation notes

Wojciech also has PCB:
http://www.sp5pbe.waw.pl/~sp5smk/pcb.html

And gerbv:
http://www.sp5pbe.waw.pl/~sp5smk/gerbv.html

And spice / gnucap:
http://www.sp5pbe.waw.pl/~sp5smk/spice.html

Great! I missed that.

<snip!>

My impression was that it seemed somewhat brittle and would run for a
long time and then fail hopelessly.  I remember thinking that it would
be more convenient to have a big Makefile instead of a frozen Python
script. This would make it easier to fix a problem and resume
compiling where you left off.  I'm sorry this criticism isn't more
constructive.

Fair enough. It can be brittle. But I am continually trying to robustify it. It's just difficult since the distros are always moving, the gEDA developers are always sticking new dependencies into their stuff, the GNU/FSF/Gtk/other developers are constantly modifying their stuff, and there's a new distro coming out every few months.

By the way, before somebody again extolls the virtues of their
favorite apt-get, yum, pkg-get or whatever, here's my challenge:  Why
don't you show us how easy it is by building an .iso with all gEDA
Suite tools aboard?  I'd personally be happy to put such a beast onto
the gEDA download page.  Even if the .iso only worked for one distro,
I think it would make a lot of users happy!  Let's see some action
instead of advice!

Like I said above, the proper means of distribution would be a repository rather than an .iso. Wojciech Kazubski almost has everything together. I will email him again about this.

That's fine. But what about SuSE, Debian, and the others?

In any event, I'm not meaning to argue.  Personally, I'd rather see a
situation where we have an RPM-based install (CD or otherwise) of the
whole Suite, a SuSE- specific install of the whole thing, a Debian
install, and so on.  The could all happily live on teh gEDA install
web page along with my installer.  Or if we got installers for all the
major distros on the gEDA download webpage, my CD could just retire
and go away!

Stuart