gEDA-user: Fedora Core 5 installation notes

Are there folks on this list who are using FC5?  If so, what is the
recommended approach for installing the gEDA suite on an FC5 box?

I am asking because I tried the most straightforward approach
(installing from the CD) and ran into a few problems.  So far, they
don't seem too insurmountable, but I've learned through bitter
experience to start asking questions sooner, rather than later.

The first issue I ran into was that the installer said I needed to
have wxGTK installed, and offered to install it for me from the CD.  I
thought to myself, "Gee, in 2006 on an FC5 box, I should be able to
just grab the latest from a repository", so I

$ sudo yum install wxGTK

   and reran the installer, and failed in exactly the same place!
Apparently, the wxGTK that gets installed by yum on an FC5 box
(version 2.6.3.2.2.fc5) does not include the "wx-config" utility,
which is what the installer searched for to determined if wxGTK was
installed.  I tried

$ sudo yum whatprovides wx-config

  and found that it doesn't exist in any of the packages that yum
could find.  (BTW, I find it personally annoying that I have to
execute the "whatprovides" command as root, but that's a topic for
another forum).  This wasn't a serious problem, I just uninstalled
wxGTK and let the installer install it's own, but I thought I would
mention it.

I restarted the install and let it go its merry way while I went to
bed last night and got up this morning to find that it failed in its
attempt to compile "gnucap".  Here is where things started going bad:

(cd O; make -k)

make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/wpd/geda-sources/gnucap/gnucap-2006-01-17/src/O'

g++ -DHAS_READLINE -DUNIX -O2 -DNDEBUG -I.. -I. -W -c ../md.cc

g++ -DHAS_READLINE -DUNIX -O2 -DNDEBUG -I.. -I. -W -c ../globals.cc

../e_card.h: In function $-1òøCARD_LIST::fat_iterator findbranch(CS&,
CARD_LIST*)òù:

../e_card.h:152: error: cannot convert $-1òøCARD_LIST::fat_iteratoròù
to òøCARD_LIST*òù for argument òø2òù to òøCARD_LIST::fat_iterator
findbranch(CS&, CARD_LIST*)òù

../e_compon.h: In member function $-1òøvoid
COMPONENT::attach_common(COMMON_COMPONENT*)òù:

../e_compon.h:139: error: $-1òø::attach_commonòù has not been declared

../e_compon.h: In member function $-1òøvoid COMPONENT::detach_common()òù:

../e_compon.h:140: error: $-1òø::detach_commonòù has not been declared

make[2]: *** [globals.o] Error 1

When I sit down to play with this some more this evening I can either
start trying to figure out what went wrong, or I can post a message
now and see if others have found and worked around this issue in the
past.  Usually, I start with plan (a), but I thought I would try plan
(b) this time :-)

Seriously... what do folks recommend for compiling and/or running the
gEDA suite on an FC5 box?  I see that there are precompiled RPMs
available, and I might go with that, at least to get started, but I
anticipate, from having lurked on the list for a couple of weeks (gee,
I wish I had tried this a couple of months ago so that I would have
felt comfortable showing up on DJ's doorstep last weekend, oh well),
that there are newer features in the CVS tree that I might want to
try, so I would prefer to start from a source compile and be able to
tweak it as needed.

Alternatively, if 98% of the folks on this list are running some other
distro, it would probably behoove me to run the same distro, so as to
minimize the probability of these sorts of things happening as I play
with the source (assuming things get to that point).

Any thoughts?

--wpd