Re: gEDA-user: Fedora Core 5 installation notes

Hi --

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Patrick Doyle wrote:

On 7/29/06, Stuart Brorson <sdb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sorry for the top post.

Funny you should ask about FC5 and the installer.  The 20060124 install
CD has older programs which would choke the install on the newer FC5.
Also, Red Hat has once again boned everybody by changing what is
installed and what is not on FC5.

Anyway, I am even now busy testing an upgraded installer with new
stuff on it.  If you can wait a day or two I will put a preview iso on
my website and make an announcement to the list.  It won't necessarily
have the latest/greatest gEDA/gaf (which is awaiting Ales's release),
but it will have plenty of other good stuff.  And it should run to
completion also!

Stuart

I hope you don't mind if I bottom post :-)

Good form! Better than my top posting!

I can easily wait a day or two... I have other options, including
installing the RPM's and finishing component selection for my design.
I would rather do that then duplicate work that you are in a
significantly better position to do than I.

Just so I can plan and scheme in the mean time, do you mind if I ask a
couple of questions?

Will the new improved lemony scented installer install something newer
that January 23rd?  (Not that I anticipate it matters to me yet, but I
am just curious).

Yes, I have updated most things which have been updated. That's part of making them work with latest Fedor release. This will include the latest gnucap, icarus verilog, pcb, and a few others.

I won't update gEDA/gaf yet since Ales is working on a major release.
'Tis a pity since there is a lot of goodness in the latest gEDA/gaf,
like improved usability.  However, I anticipate yet another CD release
after Ales does his release.

Would it be technically feasible for the tarballs on the CD to be
actual CVS tree snapshots, from which one could perform an update if
one were so inclined/adventurous/desperate?

I often do that, but since most programs have had a recent snapshot, I'm not anxious to grab the latest out of CVS.

The GEDA/gaf stuff in CVS is definately better than the old stuff.  I
just don't want to pre-release.

Personally, I would rather work with gEDA tools installed from source,
because I anticipate that there will be one or two things which I will
want to attempt to change (hopefully for the better).  For
OpenOffice.org, I would rather install from RPM's and live with
whatever limitations I find.  For gEDA, I have higher hopes (for
myself, at least).

If I were ever to start my own business (a fond dream of mine)
designing hardware using the gEDA suite, I would be more than willing
to maintain a repository for my Linux distro du-jour.

Speaking of Linux distros du-jour (or is it du-jours?), what to the
majority of the gEDA developers use for their distros?  (At 2.5 weeks
into FC5, I'm not terribly wedded to it, but I also don't enjoy
switching distros just for the fun of saying "I've tried all
17,325,242 different Linux distributions available").  I just switched
to FC5 from SuSE 9.1 because a) I got a new hard drive; and/or b) SuSE
9.1 was enough out of date wrt the CD installer that I just didn't
want to spend the pain of getting the right version of glibc so I
could get the right version of GTK so I could get the right version
of...

In my day job and at home I tend to run Fedora Core. One machine is FC1 (!!!), another is FC2, and I just built a new one with FC5.

I have install media for many different distros & releases and try to
install/test the gEDA CD on as many as possible.

Stuart