Re: gEDA-user: Problem with PCB makefile

Karel Kulhavy wrote:
Isn't it possible to alleviate the problem with the makefile calling
recursively non-gnu make by using $(MAKE) instead of make in the makefile?

CL<

It should already be doing this.

At the top of the source tree where you had the failure, what does

  grep SET_MAKE config.status

show?

Also, near line 57 or so of config.log, you should see something like:

configure:1571: checking whether make sets $(MAKE)
configure:1591: result: yes

what do you have there?

Here's my current theory. 'configure' tries to see if the make program sets the $(MAKE) variable automatically. Many do. For example I see on a NetBSD-2.0 box:

dan 134 % cat Makefile

all:
        @echo "MAKE is set to ${MAKE}"

dan 135 % make
MAKE is set to make

dan@ 136 % gmake
MAKE is set to gmake

dan@bondage 137 % alias foomake gmake
dan@bondage 138 % foomake
MAKE is set to gmake

so you can see that the MAKE variable is always set to the right thing depending on which make program was invoked.

If the make program does not set this variable, then the configure script is supposed to detect this and do something specifically to set it. The catch is ./configure checks the program called 'make', not 'gmake' or what ever t/csh has aliased 'make' to be. So my theory (which could be wrong) is that your 'make' does not set MAKE.

If you set MAKE in your configuration environment, then configure will use the specified make program. In other words

env MAKE=gmake ./configure

will check to see if gmake sets MAKE.

The good news is that the thing which caused the OpenBSD make to fail in pcb/src has been fixed in pcb's cvs.

-Dan