Re: gEDA-user: PCB Paneling

> Is there a way to determine the board size using an action script?

"Action" scripts are like really dumb shell scripts - all they do is
run commands, there's no flow control or other common scripting
capabilities.  What you really want to do is use a perl script to do
the logic, and have it "drive" pcb with an action script.

We've blue-skied about adding a real scripting language as a HID, but
the problem is we'd need to add something to the core to extract board
information in a generic script-api way.

> Maybe by using the length and width of an outline.

The board size is easily found with a perl script; it's the PCB[]
line.

> Is there a way to perform input and output in an action script?

Output, yes, at least the lesstif HID has a "Debug()" action that
prints whatever you give it.  It's just for debugging, though, not
really useful to get *information* back.

> Are there any variables and math operations available?

No.

> If I/O is possible then it could be in Perl ;-) I could parse the
> PCB file to determine the size of the outline put if PCB could do
> this it would be nicer.

Are you talking about the size of the board, or the extents of the
"outline" layer?

It shouldn't be too hard in perl to scan a .pcb for the outline layer
and find its extents.