Re: gEDA-user: PCB Paneling

I am looking for a script file to print a pcb file. Ideally it could be embedded in a Makefile
to help automate the packaging of files that get set to the fab shops. Some shops spec
holes as raw drill size while others spec the finished plated size so I would like to create
my designs using one and let the tool adjust for the vendor.

George

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 11:12 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> Is there a way to determine the board size using an action script?

"Action" scripts are like really dumb shell scripts - all they do is
run commands, there's no flow control or other common scripting
capabilities.  What you really want to do is use a perl script to do
the logic, and have it "drive" pcb with an action script.

We've blue-skied about adding a real scripting language as a HID, but
the problem is we'd need to add something to the core to extract board
information in a generic script-api way.

> Maybe by using the length and width of an outline.

The board size is easily found with a perl script; it's the PCB[]
line.

> Is there a way to perform input and output in an action script?

Output, yes, at least the lesstif HID has a "Debug()" action that
prints whatever you give it.  It's just for debugging, though, not
really useful to get *information* back.

> Are there any variables and math operations available?

No.

> If I/O is possible then it could be in Perl ;-) I could parse the
> PCB file to determine the size of the outline put if PCB could do
> this it would be nicer.

Are you talking about the size of the board, or the extents of the
"outline" layer?

It shouldn't be too hard in perl to scan a .pcb for the outline layer
and find its extents.