Re: gEDA-user: footprints -- novice`s problems

DJ Delorie wrote:
instantiating each one and verifying that it works?

You don't really know if it works until you fab a board and try to
solder the part to it.

And I'd argue that even that isn't enough to qualify as a thorough verification. I might do a proto board without silk or soldermask and everything looks good except that the silk and soldermask for the footprint is messed up. Or I might be able to hand solder it but not have it be reliable or able to be reliably assembled in a factory environment.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do what we can because every little bit helps. I'm just saying there are many different levels of verification :)

But on the instantiating each one bit, I've verified that at least there are no m4 syntax errors (there used to be). I have most of whats needed in place to automatically instantiate all footprints. In fact, we could probably use some of the gedasymbols.org scripts to have pcb try to load every single footprint and spit out a list of any which may have pcb syntax errors in them.

-Dan