Re: gEDA-user: footprints -- novice`s problems

Stefan Salewski wrote:
My gEDA distribution shipped with Gentoo-Linux comes with many m4 footprints, but with very few newlib footprints.

So i started using m4, ignoring the warnings in the documentation.

After reading http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:pcb_tips#how_do_i_add_a_footprint_library_to_pcb
more carefully "...M4 footprints more complicated, but many of them are broken. That is, lots of footprints which appear in the M4 libraries canât be made to netlist correctly by gsch2pcb.", it is not surprising to me that i had trouble trying to use m4 footprint CONN_USB.

This comment is sadly inaccurate and really should be removed. As far as I know, _all_ of the m4 footprints can netlist correctly (in that you get a footprint that loads into pcb with no syntax errors) with gsch2pcb. Also, there are quite a large number of pretty good footprints which were generated with the m4 system. In particular,

~amp, ~amphenol, ~bourns, ~cts, ~geda, ~johnstech, ~minicircuits, and ~panasonic

should all be in pretty good shape. The vendor specific ones implement some vendor specific footprints which to the best of my knowledge are all correct and the ~geda one has been moving towards being more compliant with IPC recommendations.

I think shipping gEDA/gaf with very few newlib footprints and broken m4 footsprints is very harmful for new users.

I haven't gotten out the measuring tool to verify dimensions, but I have no problems instantiating a CONN_USB. What problems were you having?

As usual, with footprint libraries though, it takes a large amount of effort to produce a library of good size with good quality control. Personally, I pretty much never use a footprint from anywhere unless I've validated it myself. That said, there is a large collection at gedasymbols.org.

-Dan