gEDA-user: footprints -- novice`s problems

My gEDA distribution shipped with Gentoo-Linux comes with many m4
footprints, but with very few newlib footprints.

So i started using m4, ignoring the warnings in the
documentation.

After reading
http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:pcb_tips#how_do_i_add_a_footprint_library_to_pcb
more carefully "...M4 footprints more complicated, but many of
them are broken. That is, lots of footprints which appear in the
M4 libraries canât be made to netlist correctly by gsch2pcb.",
it is not surprising to me that i had trouble trying to use m4
footprint CONN_USB. Now I will try to download and install
newlib footprints from
http://www.luciani.org/geda/pcb/pcb-footprint-list.html
and prefer using these.

I think shipping gEDA/gaf with very few newlib footprints and
broken m4 footsprints is very harmful for new users.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski