Re: gEDA-user: Re: How to maybe get your favorite misfeatures fixed (was: Re: PCB question)

Hi Dan,

[snip]
> I have way more ideas for things I'd like to see in gEDA/gaf and also
> PCB than I have time to implement.  One thing which came up today is I'd
> love to see a framework for as much automated testing of pcb as possible
> be put into place.  I know Carlos has done some for the drc2 backend for
> gnetlist.  I'd also like to see a more general framework in place for
> testing parts of gEDA/gaf.  If such a system ever gets put into place I
> could envision it being very useful to have some volunteers take all bug
> reports and turn them into regression tests that show the failure.  I'm
> just not quite sure how to implement all this though...

I wish I had the foresight 10 years ago to write unit tests as I was
developing gEDA/gaf.  That would have made validating major/minor changes
so much easier.  Nowadays, I pretty much do not write code (professionally
and for my other "projects") without writing a unit test first (one of my
favorite software development methodologies is test driven development TDD;
not a magic bullet but does work well for me and the gains are worth the
extra effort).

-Ales