Re: gEDA-user: home made hot plate

Dave N6NZ wrote:
Seeing DJ's hot plate photo brought to mind a link I once saw, where a guy built a home-brew SMT hot plate. I can't find the link, but as I recall, he used a few low-ohm high-watt power resistors epoxied to a piece of aluminum sheet. He drove it with a 0-30V bench supply and controlled the temperature manually by varying the voltage.

Seems to me that one should be able to build a pretty good hot plate that way for not a lot of money. Although I would think that copper might give more uniform heat spreading than aluminum (at much greater expense, however, unless you get lucky). And a thermostatic temperature control shouldn't be hard.

-dave

Why not heating wire?