gEDA-user: PCB non-feature... work-around?

I am doing only a two-layer board with three "layers" per group. In other words the preferences for layers looks something like this:

      grp       1   2  3  4  5  6
soldtrace     x
pwrgndsd    x
something   x
comptrace        x
pwrgndcmp      x
somethincp      x
solder         x
component       x

Now, when I try to only see pwrgndsd, it turns off the entire group, kind of defeating the purpose of separating the layers, in my opinion. Thus "soldtrace, pwrgndsd, something" all turn off when any of them turn off, and all turn on when any one of them turns on. The same for the other three. Is there some way around this and still keep a two-layer board?

My understanding, which may be wrong, is that if I move pwrgndsd to group 3, and somethingcp to group 4, that would create a 4 layer board? Is that understanding right?

Regards,
Kurt