Re: gEDA-user: PCB non-feature... work-around?

> Now, when I try to only see pwrgndsd, it turns off the entire group,
> kind of defeating the purpose of separating the layers, in my
> opinion.

Intentional.  The purpose of the grouping is to color the signals
differently.

Have you tried the "check polygons" setting?  It might do what you
really want.

> Thus "soldtrace, pwrgndsd, something" all turn off when any of them
> turn off, and all turn on when any one of them turns on.  The same
> for the other three.  Is there some way around this and still keep a
> two-layer board?

What I do is re-group them as individual layers, do my editing, then
group them back.

>   My understanding, which may be wrong, is that if I move pwrgndsd to group
> 3, and somethingcp to group 4, that would create a 4 layer board?  Is that
> understanding right?

Yes, maybe.  What makes it a 4 layer board in reality is telling the
fab "I want a four layer board, here's the gerbers" :-)

You can do whatever you want as long as you re-group them as two
groups before exporting it to gerber.  The exporters assume one
physical layer per group.