Re: gEDA-user: PCB Element for a Molex 71661-2068?

Ben Jackson wrote:
On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 08:31:42PM -0500, John Luciani wrote:

On 2/23/07, Ben Jackson <ben@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I need a PCB element for a Molex 71661-2068:

http://www.molex.com/product/micro/71661r.html

I've placed the Molex 71661 series connectors on my website at

http://www.luciani.org/geda/pcb/pcb-footprint-list.html#Connector

I was playing with strategies for escaping the pin grid on this part
(the board I'm connecting to uses a different brand of this style
connector which has the odd/even alternation inside out, so all the
signal pins are "inside" on the Molex version).  I noticed that the
Mark for this part does not fall on a nice offset from the pins, so
it is impossible to move the part so that the pins fall on the grid
without going off-grid with the Mark.

Is this to meet a pick & place requirement that was in the datasheet,
or is the Mark arbitrary?

The mark is not used by pcb when generating the pick and place file. The center of the part that goes in the XY file is the common centroid of all the pins/pads.

-Dan