Re: gEDA-user: Elektor milling machine

On 3/11/07, Greg Cunningham <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does Elektor make it to the US shores?  Has anybody taken the twist out
of their milling machine project?  Looks 1/2 reasonable from their Jan
front cover pic:

http://www.elektor-electronics.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=30&CategoryID=5&List=1&SortField=8&Level=1&ProductID=2794

The price buying it online is no more than buying it in the shop. Disadvantage is that they use some online payment I haven't heard of. I used to buy Elektor on a regular basis, but stopped last year due to some changes in the editorials, so I lost that January example, and my local magazine shop had already sent back (or shredded) the issue.

Since Elektor shows up in UK, NL, FR and DE, (at least) I went over to
the German site to see what they have, and there are actually more
info on the machine there. (Germans seem to want more info up ahead
before they buy online :-) )

The machine (Profiler) is a kit developed by a Belgian manufacturer,
Colinbus, (www.colinbus.com) exclusively for Elektor readers. More
(free) info on the machine (in German only)
http://www.elektor.de/Default.aspx?tabid=27&mid=398&ctl=Buy&buy=D0701026.pdf&emid=403&art=5550964&Free=True
Kit price + shipping EUR 1677 containing:
* all mechanical parts and step motors
* all control electronics on 2 pcb (complete and tested)
* The multi-tool mill from Ferm + fittings
* all software for control + gerber converter
The thing is complete so the buyer only need to assembly the parts.

The "Profiler" can be ordered online, at least on the German version
of Elektor, www.elektor.de. What to me first looked like an
interesting do-it-yourself miller became an expencive
mount-it-yourself miller where I have little hope that the interfaces
are documented in such a way that I can fit the software to what I
want, but the price is too high for me to find out.

Hope this helped a little.

Regards,
--
Svenn