Re: gEDA-user: Elektor milling machine

On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 19:24 +0100, Svenn Are Bjerkem wrote:
> On 3/11/07, Greg Cunningham <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Does Elektor make it to the US shores?  Has anybody taken the twist out
> > of their milling machine project?  Looks 1/2 reasonable from their Jan
> > front cover pic:
> >
> > http://www.elektor-electronics.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=30&CategoryID=5&List=1&SortField=8&Level=1&ProductID=2794
>
> The price buying it online is no more than buying it in the shop.
> Disadvantage is that they use some online payment I haven't heard of.
> I used to buy Elektor on a regular basis, but stopped last year due to
> some changes in the editorials, so I lost that January example, and my
> local magazine shop had already sent back (or shredded) the issue.
>
> Since Elektor shows up in UK, NL, FR and DE, (at least) I went over to
> the German site to see what they have, and there are actually more
> info on the machine there. (Germans seem to want more info up ahead
> before they buy online :-) )
>
> The machine (Profiler) is a kit developed by a Belgian manufacturer,
> Colinbus, (www.colinbus.com) exclusively for Elektor readers. More
> (free) info on the machine (in German only)
> http://www.elektor.de/Default.aspx?tabid=27&mid=398&ctl=Buy&buy=D0701026.pdf&emid=403&art=5550964&Free=True
> Kit price + shipping EUR 1677 containing:
> * all mechanical parts and step motors
> * all control electronics on 2 pcb (complete and tested)
> * The multi-tool mill from Ferm + fittings
> * all software for control + gerber converter
> The thing is complete so the buyer only need to assembly the parts.
>
> The "Profiler" can be ordered online, at least on the German version
> of Elektor, www.elektor.de. What to me first looked like an
> interesting do-it-yourself miller became an expencive
> mount-it-yourself miller where I have little hope that the interfaces
> are documented in such a way that I can fit the software to what I
> want, but the price is too high for me to find out.
>
> Hope this helped a little.
>
> Regards,

I realised the same thing after posting Svenn.  In reality, it is really
a commercial kit disguised as a Elektor project.

I thought that a post to Elektor might stimulate interest in a FOSS
interface.  It now looks so locked down it is not worth the effort.
Sad.

They have produced some good high-end-for-a-hobbyist stuff over the
years. (x-y plotter, 1-kW audio amp, high-end FM tuner, etc.) I think
that most of those brains are now in nursing homes or graves.

When I was a contractor in the '80s & '90s, Elektor *was* part of my
dietary intake. Now, most of the time, I flick through the contents at
the magazine rack & put it back.

--
Greg Cunningham <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>