Re: gEDA-user: Some footprints I tried to create

Just two thoughts for you, not about footprints, but rather about
incorporating them into the gEDA projects:

1.  Although it's not (yet) mandatory, we usually suggest that
footprints use .fp as a file suffix.

2.  You may be interested in looking around our website for
contributed footprints, symbols, and other materials:

http://www.gedasymbols.org/

Some other points:

1. Some portions of the PCB library have values associated with
  footprints, e.g. "1M" resistors and "100K" resistors, etc. I thought
  this was unnecessary. Or maybe I'm missing some vital point...
  you can tell me about it.

Nope. It is unnecessary. The footprint libraries are a grab-bag of different footprints drawn by different people over many years. Different people have different objectives/requirements in mind when they draw their footprints. Also, different people have different levels of experience. Therefore, you will see all kinds of different practices used in the footprint libraries.

2.  Eagle footprints are drawn using 6mil lines. I thought this was
  too thin, so I drew them using 8mil lines. (My PCB fab chap seems
  to generate really ultra-thin lines  on the silkscreen with 6mil.
  YMMV.) Existing footprints with PCB seem to be drawn with all
  sorts of line thicknesses, including 10mil  and 20mil, which I
  found too thick in some cases.

Yup, drawn by different people at different times. The width of silkscreen lines is usually something *you* need to sort out with your PCB fab house; it depends upon their manufacturing capabilities & tolerances.

A couple of other footprint links for you, in case you haven't found them yet:

http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:pcb_tips
http://www.luciani.org/geda/pcb/pcb-footprint-list.html

Stuart