Re: gEDA-user: Some footprints I tried to create

> 1. Some portions of the PCB library have values associated with
>     footprints, e.g. "1M" resistors and "100K" resistors, etc. I thought
>     this was unnecessary. Or maybe I'm missing some vital point...
>     you can tell me about it.

Before gEDA, pcb was used stand-alone.  In that mode, it made sense to
have one footprint for each part you have in inventory, not just for
generic parts.  The m4-based library and the table of contents made
supporting this pretty trivial.

> 4.  I did not understand the rationale for the drill dias of the pads
>     in some of the parts in the PCB database. I have tried to select
>     the drill dia carefully here, based on my limited knowledge of
>     the lead diameters.

Different people designed the symbols around different sample parts.

> 5.  In my hobby electronics experience, I find that the annular
>     copper ring around a drill hole for a pad needs to be at least
>     10 mil in width, preferably 15mil,

YMMV.  I prefer 6-8 mil unless the hole is structural (mounting
screws, terminal blocks).

>     But with this brilliant decision of PCB to keep all file formats
>     as ASCII, it'll be easy for someone to write a script to patch
>     the pin annular widths as per your preferences if you wish. (I
>     would love to have a script which can do with a PCB layout what
>     Eagle does in its DRC: set a min width and max width for annular
>     rings, with a percentage of drill dia as the guiding rule for
>     in-betweens.)

Write one.  The plugin system makes this pretty easy.

> 8.  I wanted elongated pins/pads for some of the higher-current
>     devices. So I incorporated them. I don't know whether it'll
>     work in reality when I include the device in PCB. I haven't yet
>     generated Gerbers and checked.

Should, if the pads and pins have the same number.