Re: gEDA-user: Design Flow Roadmap starting point

Igor2 wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, al davis wrote:

* Finally, how should PCB behave with a hierarchical
schematic?

Right click on a symbol, select "go inside", and another drawing opens up showing what's inside. gschem also should act this way.

I like this idea very much. In case of PCB it also would make sense to
add a way to display in place what's inside. With an "expand
all" functionality this would allow one to see the whole pcb with all
inner structures at once, without needing to export to ps.

The ability to "look inside" or "expand all" is a feature that is standard for IC layout editors. Years ago I used a PC board editor that evolved from an IC layout tool and it had this behavior. In particular, you could create sub-blocks of circuitry that might represent individual "devices" (or elements in PCB parlance) or more complex blocks that you might want to repeat. You could add these to your layout (with up to 256 levels of nesting). You could turn on/off the visibility or "editability" of any device at a lower or higher level of nesting than the one you were currently working in. When "editing down" to a lower level device it would leave all the surrounding features (the "context") visible so you see what you were doing. Other copies of the current block could be immediately displayed with the changes you just made. Needless to say, this implementation of heirarchy allowed for some very complex designs and much easier re-use than we have now.

Joe T