Re: gEDA-user: PCB - rectangular holes

El mar, 13-03-2007 a las 19:06 -0400, DJ Delorie escribiÃ:
> >   Is there an easy way to do this?  In my current board I have some
> > pretty huge round holes when a nice small rectangle would have
> > worked nicely.  Is this something that's hard for board houses to
> > make?
>
> For anything other than "round holes up to X diameter" the fab house
> usually uses a mill, not a drill.  Hence, such features would be
> called out on the mechanical (outline) drawing, not the cnc drill
> file.  So, draw them in "copper" on a layer named "outline" and talk
> with the fab house about them.
>
> As for PCB, you'd have to define the "pin" in terms of 2 or 4 pins and
> 1 or 2 pads to shape a round-corner rectangle.  You may be able to do
> it with one pad if the shape is right.

You have the possibility of embedding a "slot" hole in the drill file.
Here is the drill file for a slot hole of size 4.75mm by 3.2mm with
center at x=5mm,y=5mm.
It just takes a tool with diameter 3.2mm, and mill from X=4.225mm,Y=5mm
to X=5.775,Y=5mm. Thus the slot will have the desired size.

----------------- begin drill file
; This is a slot hole at x=5mm , y=5mm
; of size 4.75mm x 3.2mm.
M48
METRIC,TZ
FMAT,2
ICI,OFF
T01C3.2000
%
M71
G90
G93X0Y0
T01
G00X5000Y5000
M15
G01X5775
X4225
M17
T00
M30
----------------- end drill file

I guess you could also use this way to embed a rectangle with rounded
corners (provided the fab house has the right tool :) ).

I've been using this with some fab houses and had no problem. And it's
better if done automatically than doing it as copper and then talk with
the fab house...

Please, forget this mail if this feature is already supported in PCB.

Regards,

Carlos