Re: gEDA-user: Some Linux distros to consider

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:15:23 -0700 (PDT)
Jason Elder <sundevil724@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I recently installed linux on my machine for the sole purpose to install gEDA.  I went through a couple of Linux installations before I got gEDA to work and I would like to share my feedback. (Short answer below...see conclusion)
>
> There were 3 criteria I wanted the distro to fulfill be fore I chose:
>
> 1)  It had to have Firefox 2.0 or later, 2) It had to have the latest version of OpenOffice, 3) I wanted the source code as well as development packages to be installed with a full install of the distro.

In these three regards, might I sugest Gentoo.  That is the distro I use.  The only thing that my be an issue is in your conclusion.

[cut]
> My goal here was to find one that I can download, burn, install, have the latest version of firefox and openoffice, and then install gEDA with minimum hassle.

Gentoo is great IMO for the top three criteria, however it does require some tinkering. The "just works" quotient is pretty low.  For a home where tinkering is okay, it's great.  *nix experience is most decidedly required -- not a newbie distro.

my 2c.

-Marc