Re: gEDA-user: Looking for a project

>>> That clock advances one *day* at a time.
>>
>>"I am going to a commune in Vermont, and will deal with no unit of
>>time shorter than a season."
>
>That book is the best.

Agreed.  For those that haven't read it yet or are wondering what the
heck we are talking about:

"The Soul of a New Machine"
Tracy Kidder
ISBN 0-380-59931-7

This book (a 1982 Pulitzer Prize winner) documents the adventure of the
design of a new Data General computer, the Eclipse. It is an amazingly
well-done portrait of the hacker mindset --- although largely the hardware
hacker --- done by a complete outsider. It is a bit thin in spots, but
with enough technical information to be entertaining to the serious hacker
while providing non-technical people a view of what day-to-day life can
be like --- the fun, the excitement, the disasters. During one period,
when the microcode and logic were glitching at the nanosecond level, one
of the overworked engineers departed the company, leaving behind a note
on his terminal as his letter of resignation: "I am going to a commune
in Vermont and will deal with no unit of time shorter than a season."

From: http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/tech/computers/TheHackersDictionaryofComputerJargon/chap62.html

								-Ales