gEDA-user: gEDA vs commercial product

I'm very sad to say that after about a year of work with gEDA I have had to switch to a commercial alternative. Not that I like it better; on the contrary, I'm much less productive with my new 4500€ CAD than with gschem, but I simply could no longer do without the additional features of the other product. Two above all: a complete IEC symbols library for automation and distribution systems, and support for multipage projects. There are other features which I also consider paramount, which gEDA, to my knowledge, lacks: the automatic production of cabling diagrams and loop diagrams, and support physical layouts of the components referenced in the topological diagram.

I'm not advocating the use of commercial CAD instead of gEDA; hopefully this is clear. I'm expressing concern regarding the roadmap of gEDA, which is not growing at such a pace to be able to keep up with commercial software for designing electrical automation and distribution systems. Let me add that I would gladly have contributed my 4500€ to the development of gEDA rather than to a commercial product, had this opportunity existed. Once already, months ago, I proposed to pay gEDA developers to add the features I need and are missing. I'm sure other electrical engineering professionals would be interested in making significant financial contributions. It's a pity that the gEDA team is not tapping this resource, to be able to make the project mature faster.

Hopefully in future gEDA will reach such a degree of maturity as to enable me to abandon commercial solutions. Meanwhile, I'll have to stick with Windoze garbageware, and I'll have to cope with the idiosyncracies and the crashes this implies.

I'm sorry for posting this rant, but I could not restrain myself from doing so. Hopefully, I will not start a flame war, but a constructive discussion on how to further gEDA at a faster pace.

Alex Baretta

Ing. Alessandro Baretta

Studio Baretta
http://studio.baretta.com/

Consulenza Tecnologica e Ingegneria Industriale
Technological Consulting and Industrial Engineering

Headquarters
tel. +39 02 370 111 55
fax. +39 02 370 111 54

Lab