Re: gEDA-user: gEDA vs commercial product

Alessandro Baretta wrote:
I'm very sad to say that after about a year of work with gEDA I have had to switch to a commercial alternative. Not that I like it better; on the contrary, I'm much less productive with my new 4500€ CAD than with gschem, but I simply could no longer do without the additional features of the other product. Two above all: a complete IEC symbols library for automation and distribution systems, and support for multipage projects.

If you were to draw the symbols, that could solve the first problem!

As far as multipage projects.... Do you mean a flat hierarchy but with multiple pages? gschem has supported that for a long time. As far as hierarchy, there are ways to get some hierarchy support for some backends but I'll agree hierarchy support is weak.

There are other features which I also consider paramount, which gEDA, to my knowledge, lacks: the automatic production of cabling diagrams and loop diagrams, and support physical layouts of the components referenced in the topological diagram.

Sorry for being daft here, but what exactly is a cabling diagram and a loop diagram?

-Dan