Re: gEDA-user: Update: Looking for a project

Jason Aron wrote:
Akustica digital microphone decoder  I believe this is a surface-mount microphone chip that outputs a PDM digital signal.

[jg]No, it's not PDM, its a sigma delta converter bit stream.  The Akustica chip plus their recommended
TI front end layout is one future project, then it needs some reduction by me to become a lower power design
with sleep modes where you use the bistream as it starts from wakeup or reset in non standard ways and I want to see
if it can be used even in sleeping slow slow clock mode...with low low frequencies -- maybe a 500Hz rolloff....

I think this interface would probably be included on their evaluation board...  Yep.  Kinda like that USRP --
too expensive.

What kind of application are you thinking of?

To record, data reduce, and later to recognize sounds of wild animals (toads, birds), to take a census of them.  Goes in
a solar powered wilderness sensor network for biologists to use.  Also goes in a farmer oriented
water monitoring  sensor network where the solar power is more an option than a necessity...

Some hardware modules will be free hardware, and some not, and they will talk to each other.
The free hardware will be built into cases that are including trademarks and the cases are not all going to be free.
Each free hardware system part will have a well engineered way to build the entire thing free-open-as-in-freedom including rainproof cases, but not my trademarked ones. All the weather proof materials testing results I get
will be published so they can be used in the free designs as well as used in the proprietary ones that create my brands.

Cheap lab test equipment... I'm very interested in this.

A question I have for you is... Who wants this stuff and what would you use it for...

I'd sell it as kits from my cottagematic.com web site and hire you to make more that I haven't gotten around to yet.
I'd also make spinoff versions of yours and maybe improvements.  Very interested in testing out open hardware
licensing -- but with low risk of lawsuit kind of products -- not wanting a fight.   Plan on learning to use
google checkout and make a real selling website that will raise visibility of free hardware and gEDA at the same time.
Of course, the very same buying pages will have direct links to full docs to do it yourself,
and maybe some spreadsheet analysis of how it will cost you  more than the selling price to do so...  :-)

Happy to let FSF do the fighting and support them,
but theirs is mostly copyright law and open hardware gets into patent law...

Who knows some good reading on the state of the art of free hardware defense?

John Griessen