Re: gEDA-user: Design Lab Equipment

al davis wrote:

What is "quality"?

The idea is to make simple equipment that isn't available.

How about .,,.. transistor curve tracer.

Thinking of a college lab, if it
goes to 30 volts, 100 ma, that's plenty.

Having been a professor, and taught many college labs, I see many opportunities like this.

I get you about quality. This kind of niche market needs some low performance tools, so the quality is in making it available in a non-perfectionist way. It won't need status appeal, just trustworthiness for its intended use, and to be designed strong enough to be safe and durable enough to be worth building.

If you supplied a college purchasing dept with assembled units, I imagine you'd get into ETL/UL
 testing for lab levels of safety though.    Would University purchasing agents reject kits?

John Griessen