Re: gEDA-user: Design Lab Equipment

Steven Michalske wrote:

Plating is important to prevent corrosion. It is required. Un-plated vs plated is not going to make a positive performance impact.

I could talk about thermoelectric effects all day, i'll stop for now.

I read an article about sub 1 PPM measurements where they preferred reasonably uncorroded copper to any plating. They were using heavy temperature equalizing blocks at every connection. They were not in an environment where green corrosion
happened, just brown copper oxide. They understood thermocouples. It can make a performance impact. For instance,
you could sell such a setup as a "thermocouple characterizing" test bench.

There's another reason for no plating.  What is that shiny plating on those commodity test leads?  Hmmm....
Laws of intermediate metals don't apply to mystery metals, do they?

Mainly though, no one is going to succeed with a kit product based on anything but high performance and quality.
Competing on cost by having low quality won't work.  I see this as one of the unsolved problems in the marketplace,
where ordinary Fluke meters are a "solved problem" that I and any of us niche market operators
should not attempt to touch.  Or get burned.

John Griessen