Re: gEDA-user: Looking for a project

On Friday 30 March 2007 19:24, Jason Aron wrote:
> I've been using geda for about six months and I think I'm
> about done with my current project (I get the final boards
> next week).  So while I'm waiting for my boards, I'm thinking
> about what I'm going to do next...  and I'm drawing a
> complete blank.  Does anyone have some good ideas for me?
>  I'm a hardware guy with lots of experience in building
> radios and audio systems (RF and audio).  I know everybody's
> got a long list of projects tucked away in the back corner of
> a desk... Is there one that you'd like a jump-start on?

Since you posted here, and it appears you want a hardware
project, and you want to make a contribution to us....

How about lab test equipment.  There is a real need for simple
stuff that is too simple to market at the high prices the big
instrument companies need to charge.  The kind of equipment you
need in a home lab.  Like Heathkit used to make.

Another real need is for the hardware side of computer
instrumentation.  Something like the commercial
product "Labview".  We have most of the software.  We are
lacking the hardware.

The first piece here would be a box that has analog inputs, like
an oscilloscope, plugs into a USB, and provides a data stream
that  software can use.  One input to one USB would be perfect.
A more advanced version could sample and store a block of time,
enabling higher frequencies than you could send over USB
directly.

Once we have this, we have a schematic program that can draw as
well as Labview can, we are working on interprocess
communication anyway, we are working on waveform analysis tools
anyway, we have a simulator that will soon have real behavioral
modeling.  We would need some interface software for your
board.  Then we have a free/open-source alternative to Labview!