Re: gEDA-user: Re: Looking for a project

On Saturday 31 March 2007 17:36, Peter Clifton wrote:
> > The significant contribution here is to do the whole job,
> > with PCB layout, assembly procedure, test procedure, and
> > make the whole package GPL.
>
> One word: _Saftey_.
>
> We use differential isolating probes in the lab for all sorts
> of measurements, and for power systems, they must be
> isolated. I'm not sure what the standards require, but I'd
> probably design for many kV. (to ground).

Let's put that in the same category as the wideband one.  There
is no reason why someone who just needs it to break ground
loops in an audio circuit, or to probe across parts inside,
needs all that extra.  A simple op-amp will do.

This is the opportunity.  The high priced commercial equipment
markets to those with those needs.  There is a need for simple
boxes for simple jobs.  These simple boxes won't do everything
the expensive ones will do, but they are more available.

I am not looking for a big business opportunity here, beyond a
small one that a college organization or ham radio club could
handle.  I am looking to fill a need that commercial products
cannot.