Re: gEDA-user: Looking for a project

On Friday 30 March 2007 19:24, Jason Aron wrote:
>  I'm a hardware guy with lots of experience in building
> radios and audio systems (RF and audio).

I just had another idea ...  Equipment for low-power FM radio.

Some of these stations are on a very low budget.  Commercial
broadcast equipment is very expensive because of low volume.
This is where the free/open-source approach, with kits for
sale, has a place.

Before someone else points this out .....  Unless you want it
just to prove you can do the whole thing free/open-source,
certain things like CD players don't make sense.

Whether a mixing console makes sense or not depends what you
want to do.  If a disco or band mixed does the job, you won't
beat it.  The free/open-source modular approach opens up the
possibility of building big ones like API makes.  That would be
worth doing.

I see a few possibilities ...

-Test equipment: modulation monitor, frequency meter.
A box that tells you that your transmitter is working correctly.

- signal processing, compression and limiting.  You can buy one
cheap that was designed for bands, but it is far from optimal
for broadcast.  How about a multi-band limiter for FM?
(yes ... I do know how to do it.)

(for the USA) ..  emergency action notification system.
Broadcasters need to monitor other stations for the alarm.
It's just an FM radio with a little extra circuitry.  How about
the extra box to attach to an ordinary FM radio?

FM stereo generator.  The broadcast ones are very expensive.
You can buy one made for a lab cheap.  It sort of works.  A
real broadcast one is simple but much more expensive.