Re: gEDA-user: Using underlying schematics

Peter,

Try this.....

First edit the system-commonrc file.. Mine is found in
/usr/local/share/gEDA.

Add the following lines

(source-library ".")
(source-library-search ".")

Then create a project directory and insert the following attached files
HierarchySimple.sch, HierarchySimple1.sch and HierarchySimple2.sch

Put the following symbol files into a symbol directory such as
/usr/local/share/gEDA/sym/local

HierarchySimple1.sym and HierarchySimple2.sym

Change Directory to your project directory.

run gschem HierarchySimple.sch

Click on the HierarchySimple1 symbol

hit <Shift>H
hit d

you should now be looking at the page HierarchySimple1.sch

hit <Shift>H
hit u

you should now be at the top page

hit <Shift>H
hit s

you should now be looking at HierarchySimple.sym
click on the edit menu option pull down to the Show/Hide Inv Text

The key thing for hierarchy is the interconnect io symbols in the lower
level schematics and the io pins in the symbol files. Take a good look
at those.

Best Wishes,

Steve Meier

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 03:08, Peter Brett wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm just getting started using gschem, and I've got a subcircuit schematic I want to incorporate several times into a higher-level schematic.  I've created a symbol for the subcircuit, but I can't work out how to make a pin on the symbol correspond to an input or output of the subcircuit.  TFM doesn't seem to offer any clues...
>
> Hope someone can help me out in my confusion!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter Brett
>
> --
> SLE System Display Group
> mailto:peter.brett@sharp.co.uk
> http://www.sle.sharp.co.uk/research/sop/

v 20040111 1
C 13200 71100 1 0 0 74541-1.sym
{
T 14900 74100 5 10 1 1 0 6 1
refdes=U1
}
N 15200 73800 16500 73800 4
C 16500 73700 1 0 0 output-2.sym
{
T 17400 73900 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
net=MyPin:1
T 17400 73800 5 10 1 1 0 1 1
value=MyPin
T 16500 73700 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
refdes=MyPin
}
v 20040111 1
C 13200 71100 1 0 0 74541-1.sym
{
T 14900 74100 5 10 1 1 0 6 1
refdes=U1
}
C 8300 73700 1 0 0 input-2.sym
{
T 8300 73900 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
net=YourPin:1
T 8800 73800 5 10 1 1 0 7 1
value=YourPin
T 8300 73700 5 10 0 1 0 0 1
refdes=YourPin
}
N 9700 73800 13200 73800 4
v 20040111 1
C 61100 52800 1 0 0 HierarchySimple1.sym
{
T 61400 53100 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
refdes=S1
}
C 68700 52700 1 0 0 HierarchySimple2.sym
{
T 69300 53100 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
refdes=S2
}
N 66400 57100 68900 57100 4
v 20040111 1
B 600 700 4300 4800 3 0 0 0 -1 -1 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
{
T 1600 5100 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
description=HierarchySimple1
}
T 300 300 8 10 1 1 0 0 1
refdes=S1
P 5300 4300 4900 4300 1 0 0
{
T 5300 4300 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
pinnumber=1
T 4300 4300 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
pinlabel=MyPin
}
T 1200 5900 8 10 0 0 0 0 1
source=HierarchySimple1.sch
v 20040111 1
T 1300 6800 8 10 0 0 0 0 1
source=HierarchySimple2.sch
B 600 700 4300 4800 3 0 0 0 -1 -1 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
{
T 1600 5100 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
description=HierarchySimple2
}