Re: gEDA-user: gschem and CVS

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:48:01 -0500 (EST), Stuart Brorson <sdb@cloud9.net> wrote:
[Richard wrote:]
> > I would like to add something to the wish list : the ability to do a
> > diff and even better a merge in between two schematic.  That will beat
> > many commercial tools...
>
> This would be cool.  However, I wonder why you would want to do this
> with the schematic capture package, when you can do it using unix
> command line utilities on gschem's ASCII files.  Is there an
> advantage, or am I misunderstanding something?

Think of the difference between raw diff output, and viewcvs's color coding.

In a schematic, you could have the graphical equivalent of "change
bars" by changing the background color where parts of the schematic
have changed.

This could be a little different than what Richard is thinking, but I
agree that the basic concept would be a handy addition. Then again,
it's probably not a walk in the park to code, either. (/me mumbles
something about Python and wanders off...)

--
- Charles Lepple