Re: gEDA-user: Board fabrication -- outline

On 10/10/06, Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My questions: What is the right way to generate the outline for the board producer?

This depends on the manufacturer. I use PCB Express and they request a 1mil copper line on the top layer. I usually add this line after I complete the layout.

Should I rename the gerber files? (I think name of
board.group0.gbr should be board.front.gbr, this name was used
in pcb documentation)

I have a script that renames the files for the PCB Express conventions which are ---

# File extensions

# Layer #1 = .top
# Layer #2 = .l2 	(or .bot if only 2 layers)
# Layer #3 = .l3
# Layer #4 = .l4 	(or .bot if only 4 layers)
# Layer #5 = .l5
# Layer #6 = .bot

# Topside Silkscreen = .slk
# Bottom Silkscreen = .bsk

# Top Soldermask    = .smt
# Bottom Soldermask = .smb

# NC Drill File   = .dri  (combined plated and unplated holes)

Should I send all .gbr and .cnc files to board fabricator?

One gerber file for each copper layer, top and bottom mask file, top and bottom silkscreen file and the drill file (or files)

Is it necessary to send more informations to board fabricator?

It depends on the manufacturer. You may need to specifiy board thickness, ounces of copper, etc. For the low price vendors these are usually part of the package price.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org