Re: gEDA-user: gsch2pcb can't find pcb installation directory

I just want to say thanks for everyone's help. It turns out that my pcb installation must've been a bit wonky. I went back to fink, removed the package, and redid it, and it seems to be working fine now. Thanks!

On 10/27/06, John Luciani <jluciani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/27/06, devrin talen <jackfrost13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John,
>
> On 10/27/06, John Griessen <john_g@xxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> > > R101: can't find PCB element for footprint R025 (value=10K)
> > > So device R101 will not be in the layout.
> > [jg]For these, put some lines in your project file such as:
> >
> > elements-dir
> /home/john/EEProjects/now/circuitboards/footprints_pcb
> > elements-dir /opt/pcb/share/pcb/newlib
> >
> > The first line is my local element file based footprints, the second is
> the
> > system file based footprints.
>
> I think my problem might be that I can't seem to find where my system
> directory for the footprints is. Is this because I built it using fink? I
> would imagine not, but I've searched a lot of places for a pcb/ folder and I
> can't find one. Are the footprints something that I can just download and
> put in a folder somewhere?

I did not see a tarball containing all of the footprints on gedasymbols.org but
you could download individual symbols to get started.

If you want to try my footprints to do the following:

1. make a directory named footprints in your home directory
2. Download the file
  http://www.luciani.org/geda/pcb/pcb-symbols-jcl_2006-9-29.tgz
  to the footprints directory
3. tar zxf pcb-symbols-jcl_2006- 9-29.tgz
4. For each component in your schematic to the following

  a. Browse the footprints at
     http://www.luciani.org/geda/pcb/pcb-footprint-list.html to find a
     footprint you like.
  b. Add a footprint attribute to the schematic symbol

5. After you have saved your schematic you can create a PCB
  layout with the command ---

  gsch2pcb --elements-dir ~/footprints SCHEMATIC_NAME

NB: Before using any footprint on your board you should verify that
the footprint
matches the manufacturer's component specification and meets your
process requirements.

> And is the problem with this:
> > /usr/bin/gm4: /sw/share/pcb/m4/common.m4: No such file or directory
> going to stop gsh2pcb from working, or is it not a problem?

If m4 cannot find the file common.m4 you will probably have a difficult time
finding other m4 files (and generating other footprints).

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org