Re: gEDA-user: My board is back -- groundplane (polygon) is missing

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006, Stefan Salewski wrote:

Hello,

two weeks ago I send my gerbers to board manufacturer
www.bilex-lp.com.

Just get the board back: Looks fine, but polygons building ground
plans on solder side are missing, so board is useless.

I understand that some older programs used at PCB manufacturers will not handle some polygon settings correctly, or will not handle them by default. The CAM operator at the manufacturer needs to be clueful enough to see that polygons are present, and then enable them in their software, or something like that.

Therefore, the problem is not yours, nor is it PCB's, but rather
originates at the PCB house.

I had a problem similar to this with some boards I did with PCB a year
or two ago.  After getting faulty boards back, I looked at the Gerbers
in GCPrevue (a Windoze based app), took screenshots, took photos of my
board, and then e-mailed a polite letter to the fab house with the
screenshots and photos, pointing out the problem.  They re-spun the
board and sent me the correct boards for free.  You can try a similar
approach.

Good luck,

Stuart