Re: gEDA-user: pcb refdes name restrictions?

Peter Baxendale wrote:
Thanks for the comment on refdes values. I'll add a few things to next
year's notes for the students.

I'll try to remember to modify gsch2pcb. The framework exists in gnetlist to include rules about the name space of the output format and deal with it. For example, pads seems to convert everything to upper case so the pads backend currently converts everything to upper case as part of netlisting. Note that there is some extra magic that makes sure you don't create shorts by moving to a more restrictive name space.

It had never occurred to me to use anything but an upper case alpha
character followed by a numeric value for a refdes, but students have a
habit of trying the unexpected. It threw me for quite a while trying to
understand what pcb was complaining about, since it referred to a "CONN"
part which wasn't in either the schematic or the pcb netlist or the pcb
file. Now I know about the lower case feature I'll know what to look for
next time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only lower case at the end of a refdes is
ignored by pcb (but not by gsch2pcb), so something like Rp4 is ok.

I'd have to look. The test would be to load a netlist and then look in the .pcb file. Or look at the netlist parser.

-Dan