Re: gEDA-user: PCB can't find new footprints

Op woensdag 01-10-2008 om 12:58 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Kai-Martin
Knaak:
> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 13:45:16 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:
>
> > It's almost as if some path setting is wrong or missing; yet I did add
> > the geda-0.0.2/bin directories to $PATH, and geda-0.0.2/share/man to
> > $MANPATH (I added the export commands to .bash_profile).

I forgot to mention that PCB's library window does show the expected
directories newlib, pcblib, and pcb-newlib; and these directories do
contain the predefined footprints. Yet these doesn't appear to relate to
the structure under /share/pcb/newlib/.

> The local paths pcb shows in the footprint chooser are read from
> 	$HOME/.pcb/preferences
>
> In my case, the config file contains a line like this:
> 	library-newlib = ~/geda/footprints:~/geda/luciani
>
> You can set this list of paths from within the GUI (GTK-GUI assumed):
> 	File --> Preferences --> Library

??? if I enter the path to newlib here, PCB's library window shows
double entries for every subdirectory -- so I see two instances of
"analog-devices", "burr-brown", "connectors" etcetera. So I have a
suspicion that this library-newlib setting isn't the right solution at
all.

> Note, this library path does not affect gsch2pcb/gnetlist.
> The recommended place to set the lib path for these tools is
> gafrc at one of the various local or system-wide places.

And what exactly am I supposed to enter there? I can only find a file
geda-0.0.2/share/gEDA/system-gafrc, and there's no line defining library
locations or whatever. And yes, I really need gsch2pcb to work -- it's
the only way I can reliably design pcb's with hundreds of components.

What I don't understand is why I have to bother with these things all of
a sudden -- and why this doesn't appear to be documented anywhere. All
the manuals simply say that I can simply create footprints and save
these somewhere under the newlib directory. And in previous gEDA
versions, I never encountered these problems.

So I'm convinced that something else is wrong. The central question here
is where PCB looks for its libraries -- in this new installation, PCB
does find footprint libraries, but obviously not the ones under
geda-0.0.2/share/pcb. It's rather puzzling so far.

But thanks all the same, best regards,

Richard Rasker