Re: gEDA-user: pcb, crosshair snaps not to center of pads

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 22:35 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 22:02 +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> > pcb 20080202
> >
> > It was my assumption that crosshair should snap to center of a pad when
> > Settings/Crosshair snaps to pins and pads is selected. But it does not
> > really snaps to center -- it snaps to center of short edge, and to two
> > positions for long edge.
> >
> > I tried to position a rectangular pad centered on a grid point, but it
> > does not work because pad is not grabbed at its center.
> >
> > Is there a reason for not snapping to pad center?
> > (I tried to make a screen shot, but crosshair was not visible.)
>
> It snaps to the two points defining the end of the pad. I agree that
> isn't ideal. I've got a patch in my stack which reworks the snapping
> code to let you get at objects PCB otherwise makes really hard to snap
> onto, but its not 100% right yet.
>
> If people like the new behaviour (when its fixed), I'll see if we can
> get that committed into PCB.

The patch I'm currently runnning with is here:

http://repo.or.cz/w/geda-pcb/pcjc2.git?a=commitdiff;h=8ff6cdf371b75c3ef75895fb4e647a55caf78e7a

Or in a format you can apply to try it out:

http://repo.or.cz/w/geda-pcb/pcjc2.git?a=commitdiff_plain;h=8ff6cdf371b75c3ef75895fb4e647a55caf78e7a

The idea is that it will snap to the nearest feature - not the previous
behaviour which had a list of different object types it would snap to
within a certain radius. (It would always pick the first object type it
looked at within reach - not the nearest to the cursor).

Holding the shift key always allows you to select a grid point - it
otherwise the cursor would be grabbed by some nearby object - good(*)
for selecting a grid point to end a track underneath a pad - if you
really don't want it to snap to the center of that pad.

* (Not so useful when I discovered it will happilytrigger the "replace
   object under cursor with the one in the buffer" logic if you paste a
   buffer, even if that buffer contains a track!).

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,