Re: gEDA-user: (x)gsch2pcb question (was: PCB can't find new footprints)

Op donderdag 02-10-2008 om 16:27 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Peter
Clifton:
> On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 15:54 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:
>
> > The question is simple: The directory /home/richard/electron/local_fps
> > contains my local footprints. Now I'd like to tell gsch2pcb (and
> > xgsch2pcb -- very nice tool, BTW!) about this location, regardless of
> > the project. Lots of these components (and hence footprints) are used in
> > several projects, therefore I wish to have these globally available.
>
> No direct way that I know of.

OK, then that's clear.

[snip compile newer xgsch2pcb]

> gsch2pcb (underlying xgsch2pcb) doesn't have any place to set global
> defaults.
>
> This said, reading the source, it looks like it will respond to an
> environment variable:
>
> PCBLIBPATH=/path/to/a:/path/to/b

No, this doesn't work.

> > It must of course be possible to use xgsch2pcb with local footprint
> > libraries -- so what am I doing wrong? How can I tell gsch2pcb and
> > xgsch2pcb once and for all that I want to use the footprints
> > in /home/richard/electron/local_fps?
>
> Not currently possible, but something which we can look into if / when
> we rework gsch2pcb.
>
> I just use the "packages" directory in my project for footprints.
> gsch2pcb looks there by default.

OK, this led me to the simplest solution so far: a symlink by the name
of "packages" pointing to my local library directory. Perhaps this
approach could be worth mentioning in a tutorial? It sure would have
saved me quite a few hours of trying and searching -- although these
hours were very educational in their own right, so I don't consider them
wasted ;-)

Thanks once again, best regards,

Richard Rasker