Re: gEDA-user: Driving the netlist from PCB (instead of gschem)

On Sunday 28 September 2008, Rick Collins wrote:
> Personally, I have never found the use of back-annotation to
> be very user friendly.  I prefer to open both tools at once
> and make the same changes in both tools at the same time.
>  When I see I want to swap pins in the layout, I do that in
> the layout tool and also in the schematic tool.  At some
> point I re-import the netlist and verify that the two tools
> still agree on connectivity.

You are mixing the user interface with the underlying
implementation.  You can have both.  With tools being developed
independently, back-annotation may be the best way to achieve
the interface goal you want.

Remember ..  it's not just schematic and layout.

The only reason geda doesn't have post-layout signal integrity
simulation is the lack of a translator.

> Personally, I favor the idea of a unified data base for both
> layout and schematic.  So far no one seems to agree with this
> idea.

That is false.  No one has stepped up to do the work, and most
people here don't understand it.  How about you?