Re: gEDA-user: newbie library question

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:24:54 -0400, tj wrote:

> I asked a question earlier about oval pads and I have located what I am
> looking for as an  example on the
> http://www.gedasymbols.org/footprints/newlib/tests/14DIP_oval_pad.fp
> page.
> However once I download it, how do I ass it to a library? Like, I want
> to put it in pcblib-newlib/generic library. I copied it to
> /usr/local/share/pcb/pcblib-newlib/generic/14DIP_oval_pad.fp, but it
> doesn't show up when running pcb.

This one is a true FAQ. This is what I wrote in response to a similar
question by Richard Rasker a few days ago:

The local paths shown by pcb in the footprint chooser are read from
	$HOME/.pcb/preferences

In my case, the config file contains a line like this:
	library-newlib = ~/geda/footprints:~/geda/luciani

You can set this list of paths from within the GUI (GTK-GUI assumed):
	File --> Preferences --> Library

Note, this library path does not affect gsch2pcb/gnetlist. The
recommended place to set the lib path for these tools is gafrc
at one of the various local or system-wide places.

I don't want gschem to use the
default libs at all. So, my $HOME/gEDA/gafrc first makes gschem and
gnetlist forget about the default system libs. Then it gives the path to
my local libraries:

/------------------
(reset-component-library)   ; don't use system symbols
(reset-source-library)     ; don't use system footprints

; Allow to source symbols from the current working directory
(define current-working-directory (getenv "PWD"))
(component-library current-working-directory)
(source-library  current-working-directory)

; Local Footprints library
(source-library "/home/kmk/geda/footprints")

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
http://lilalaser.de/blog