Re: gEDA-user: pcb, next minor pad snapping bug

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 01:58 +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:

> An other strange pad snapping behavior:
>
> If "Crosshair snaps to pins and pads" is selected, crosshair seems to
> snaps to pads (of SMD) for all layers, even when inner layers are
> active. I think it should snap to pads (preferable center) only if
> active layer is in component group (maybe snap to pads too if active
> layers is in solder side group and there is a pad on solder side).

Good point, I've noticed that too..

I had a stab at improving all manner of snapping behaviours some while
back, and I've added a check to avoid snapping to pads from the wrong
side tonight. (It also allows appropriate snapping when rubberbanding a
particular layer's lines).

There are still some niggles though. The cursor snap code is different
to the code actually used to find objects to pick up and work with. It
needs to be the same - so if something is snapped to, that is what I
pick up.

There is also a slight problem with my code, in that when the grid is
course, the search area for things to snap to is large. The code which
finds objects on the page doesn't necessarily return the closest object,
leading to difficulty snapping.

Anyhow.. good to write these niggles down so I can remind myself they
are there.

See the patches here..

http://repo.or.cz/w/geda-pcb/pcjc2.git?a=shortlog

The repository contains:

* Prototype OpenGL rendering
* Fixes for rat-circles onto polygons
* Speed improvements in polygon clipping (rtree and polygon code)
* Support for full polygon pours with fragment connectivity tracking
* Island removal - semi-real time, but haven't got the update case
  100% right yet.
* Probably the odd bug fix / code tidy up.
* Various local cruft not really meant to see the light of day. Hacks,
  kludges and worse, designed to solve a problem and get me out of a
  hole. Personal preferences, changed mouse-wheel behaviours etc..

The specific patches of interest are:

1. snapping refactor:
http://repo.or.cz/w/geda-pcb/pcjc2.git?a=commitdiff;h=89e6e1eec1d246e5e8229f6827b261291a78c55f
2. snap to center of pads (incl. rats):
http://repo.or.cz/w/geda-pcb/pcjc2.git?a=commitdiff;h=05962896d11f58713d634dc561c0da5de5778f29
3. only snap to pads on the correct layer:
http://repo.or.cz/w/geda-pcb/pcjc2.git?a=commitdiff;h=e254551c348ca66f0704c07e546b35e337a70b24

Best regards,

--
Peter Clifton