Re: gEDA-user: improve PNG output quality

On Tuesday 21 October 2008 17:10:15 Joerg wrote:
> Stefan Salewski wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 20.10.2008, 12:00 -0700 schrieb Joerg:
> >> OO does not import EPS files well, sometimes not at all.
> >
> > I am really surprised that OO has (still) problems with important vector
> > formats EPS and PDF. Including measurement data as bitmap graphics in
> > scientific papers, diploma and PhD-Thesis is a crime in my opinion. So I
> > will go on using LaTeX.
> >
> > Thanks for reporting this!
>
> Personally I think this super-duper-quality requirement for scientific
> papers is overblown. I use 300dpi PNG format almost exclusively in my
> business docs and some of those go straight to the board room. Even with
> 20:20 vision you can't see any difference to professionally printed stuff.

It's really nice to generate just one set of graphs/diagrams and use them both
for small diagrams in papers and also on A1 posters without any hassle. But
hey, you're entitled to your opinion.

Not to mention that my perfect-at-any-scale vector graphics will pretty much
always be at least an order of magnitude smaller on-disk and in-email than
your PNGs will be. :P

> In the old days (OrCAD SDT and Word-5 for DOS) I used HPGL which was
> really nice. But that has fallen from grace and most text programs can't
> even import it anymore. AFAICT gschem cannot generate it either.

A quick Google turned up a bunch of programs for converting from HPGL to
PostScript.

                                Peter

--
Peter Brett