Re: gEDA-user: pcb, howto partition power planes?

DJ Delorie wrote:
>> I guess your layout will need at least one more rev before you
>> can get to the noise limit of that chip.  OTOH, maybe that isn't
>> the goal.
>
> My goal is: figure out why my electric bill is so high :-)

Another nice tool: Maybe you could borrow a FLIR camera. That would show
every ever so slight hot spot in a room, like something that consumes a
couple of watts of standby power but has long since been forgotten.

>> I do really like the idea behind that board!  I have a Kill-A-Watt
>> at home.  It's really handy, but a real multi-channel power
>> datalogger would be even better.  I thought about building one
>> myself many years ago, but never got the traditional Round Tuit.
>> Don't let my snarky comments about grounds keep you from building
>> yours.
>
> Well, I'm having a bunch of boards made - maybe ten or so.  I need
> four for my house, and our lab rat at work wants one.  I'll have
> extras :-)
>
> I'm going to hand-etch one board to test out the concept first,
> though.  That means no vias under components and a few other design
> rules.

Tried to load your layout but got an error and I could not find any
pointers via web search.

Error parsing file ...
line: 801

Then again this is the first time I tried PCB Designer on Ubuntu in
VirtualBox. Maybe some settings are messed up.

WRT to energy savings, if you find some gizmo that consumes next to
nothing but has to run and its transformer gobbles up 95%+ you could try
to replace i.e. a 115V-12V transformer with a 230V-24V. "Modern"
transformers are often operated a hair below or right at the onset of
saturation.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/