Re: gEDA-user: Hiding power pins in schematic symbols?

Frank Miles wrote:
> Newbie questioner...
>
> Is there a way to selectively hide the power pins of a multi-sectioned component?
> That is, without having to resort to the "hidden connection" (net attribute) method?
Create multiple symbols.

> A simple example: a 7400 package, with 4 2-in nand gates.

I would create three symbols for this:
a) True-logic two input nand, with four slots.
b) Inverted-logic two input nor, with four slots (I can't help it, I
spent too many years doing ECL... bubbles gotta match the signal
polarity and function if you expect to survive a design review with me.
A bubble/polarity mismatch indicates logical inversion.  And get off my
lawn :)
c) A power symbol.

It's OK to have the same refdes assigned to multiple symbols, refdes and
the 'slot' attribute is how the netlister sorts it all out.

I like to keep the logic on a logic page, and do one of two things with
the power symbol.  On small designs, it goes in an out-of-the way corner
of the same page as the logic symbols.  On large designs, all the power
symbols go on a (some) page(s) designated as a "power symbol ghetto".

I used to use the hidden power attributes in order to reduce clutter,
but in the end it creates more hassles than it solves.

-dave