Re: gEDA-user: powermeter board, with less ground planes :-)

DJ Delorie wrote:
>> Much better. If you want to be extra good provide another 0.1uF
>> parallel to the AVDD caps, close to pin 3.
>
> The problem is, there's no ground near pin 3.  The Vdds are all near
> pin 1, and the GNDs are all near pin 10.

Isn't that whole outside perimeter plane GND? Currently you have the far
side of C13 via'd to that. It's just that C13 is kind of far away from
pin 3.

>> Might want to rotate C11 and squeeze it in between R18/C12 so it's
>> closer to pin 4. But that really only matters if you expect lot of
>> RF from cell phones and stuff.
>
> Nope.  It's inside a metal box with all the circuit breakers.

That makes it pretty safe. But I did have a situation at a client where
this wasn't enough. Cell phone noise made it in via the cables. GSM
phones and BlackBerries were the worst for some reason. We fixed it by
switching to a device with clean CMOS inputs instead of BJT and
providing a nice little 0603 cap smack dab across the diff input, as
close as design rules would let us.

>> Some day maybe you could post the whole schematic so folks who are new
>> to gEDA like me can test drive a schematic with hierarchical order.
>> Somehow I never managed to find the Scandinavian example.
>
> The two *.sch I posted are all there is; I have a Makefile that just
> renames the one channel to the other fifteen of them.

That's cheating :-)

>>> 495 parts so far!  367 holes, 290 of which are vias.
>>>
>> If it's any comfort my board that is in fab right now has 585 parts :-)
>
> Yeah, but I have to assemble mine all by hand.

I just sent my stuffing punch list to the tech at this client for the
prototype. I bet she wasn't happy when she opened that email.

>> Question: IIUC you haven't had the board produced yet. How did you
>> create this nice rendering of a finished circuit board?
>
> PCB's png exporter has a "ben-mode" option (yes, we need to rename it)
> that does photorealistic output, with a little post-processing:
>
>   pcb -x png --ben-mode --dpi 450 powermeter.pcb
>   pngtopnm powermeter.png | pamscale 0.333333 | cjpeg -q 90 > ${WEB}/powermeter.jpg

Sweet! Thanks, I'll copy this hint right to the new gEDA wiki file here.
And I'll show my layouter. He currently uses PADS but who knows.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/